I’m not gonna lie, I really miss eating fish and seafood. Not that it’s hard for me to control myself, but I truly miss smoked salmon and sashimi. I tried a few alternatives, but unfortunately, they were usually made of soy. I have such a hard time digesting it that I just lost hope. Until I started experimenting with carrots to develop this vegan smoked salmon recipe!
Who would’ve thought baked and marinated carrots could have such a similar taste and texture? Certainly not me. I tried a few different methods to get the carrots to the right texture and found that the best way to cook them was in the oven.
It’s a fairly simple recipe. All you have to do is bake a few carrots, peel them, marinate them and put on top of a bagel with vegan cream cheese. I tested a few different types of vegan cheeses and my favourites were from Vegnature and Zengarry. The Zengarry double crème did melt a bit when I spread it on a hot bagel. Maybe you’ll want to wait until it cools down just to be safe. Vegnature has all sorts of spreadable vegan cheeses, but I preferred the leek flavour.
A few non vegan friends sampled this recipe and they were all blown away. I never thought in a million years it would be possible to eat vegan smoked salmon!Print
Delicious vegan smoked salmon alternative made with marinated carrots.
- 4-5 medium sized carrots, peeled
- 2 tbsp olive or flax seed oil
- 1/2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp liquid smoked
- Fresh dill (to taste)
- Capers (to taste)
- Purple daikon slices (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400F
- Peel the carrots and place on a sheet of parchment paper in a baking dish
- Brush a thin layer of olive oil on the carrots
- Bake for 35 minutes
- Remove from the oven and allow the carrots to cool
- Using a potato peeler, slice the carrots into thin strips
- Whisk all marinade ingredients together in a bowl
- Combine carrots and marinade in a sealed container and leave in the fridge for 24h
- Serve on top of bagels* with vegan cream cheese*, fresh dill, capers, red onion slices and slices of purple daikon