If you’re looking for the best vegan soup, look no further! I created this vegan French onion soup with grated vegan cheese and it’s SO tasty.
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tsp miso
- 1 can butter beans (398ml), rinsed & drained
- ¼ cup vegan butter (I used soy-free Earth Balance)
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 5 cups thinly sliced yellow onions
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- A few slices of french baguette bread
- Grated vegan cheese (to taste, I used Earth Island mozzarella shreds)*
- In a blender, purée the vegetable broth, miso & butter beans until smooth. Set aside.
- Turn on your pressure cooker and select “brown / sauté”. No need for the lid for now.
- Melt the vegan butter with the avocado oil.
- Sauté the onions with maple syrup for 15 min (or until the onions are golden brown), stirring frequently.
- Add vegetable stock, minced garlic, balsamic vinegar, coconut aminos, bay leaves, thyme & pepper and stir for 1-2 min.
- Close the lid & seal the pressure cooker. Select “soup” and set to 20 min on high pressure.
- Once the timer is done, release the pressure by allowing the steam to vent, then remove the lid.
- Preheat the oven to broil. Make sure to move the oven rack to the top position.
- Pour the soup into an ovenproof serving bowl, then dip a few slices of french baguette bread in it. Make sure to soak them before topping the grated vegan cheese on top.
- Broil for about 5-8 min or until the cheese is melted and browned in spots.
*Not every brand of vegan cheese will melt easily. You might have to try different brands to get the right consistency.