I can’t remember the last time I ate a French onion soup bowl. I quit dairy about 15 years ago, so it’s been a verrrrry long time to say the least! The crockpot French onion soup recipe my mother made when I was a child was one of my all time favorite dishes, so I was really excited to veganize her recipe and create this vegan French onion soup bowl for the Crock-Pot® brand using their 6 Qt. Express Pressure Cooker!
Traditional recipes use regular flour, but the macro-tracking freak in me decided to replace that with protein, so I used butter beans instead. It made it super creamy and rich. Everyone loved it and said it was the best vegan soup they’ve ever eaten! Since I don’t drink alcohol much, I also replaced the wine with balsamic vinegar. It’s just a personal preference though, feel free to use wine instead as it works just as well.
I was terrified to use a pressure cooker because my mother used to tell me it was extremely dangerous to use and that I could end up with 2nd degree burns. I guess they’ve updated the technology since the 80s! My Crock-Pot® Express Pressure Cooker was very easy to use and I have to say made my life much easier. All I had to do is put all the ingredients in it, close the lid and wait for the timer to go off. No need to wash a bunch of pots or clear the stovetop, it’s so convenient for people who are too busy to cook. Or people who already spend their entire days in the kitchen and could use a little break (cough cough, ME).
There are many brands of vegan cheese out there that will melt really well, I went with one of the very few options I found here in the Rockies. If you’ve never tested any of them, here are a few brands to choose from:
- Bute Island Scheese
- Nafsika garden
- Nature et moi
- Chao by Field Roast
- Kite Hill
- Daiya (melts well but it’s not the best taste-wise in my opinion)
This recipe was sponsored by Crock-Pot, I hope you guys enjoy it! The 6 QT Express Crock at Walmart Canada during Black Friday is the feature of the week starting 11/29 with rollback pricing at $59.88! See details here : http://bit.ly/2OubtqO.
If you’re looking for the best vegan soup, look no further! I created this vegan French onion soup with grated vegan cheese and it’s SO tasty.
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tsp miso
- 1 can butter beans (398ml), rinsed & drained
- ¼ cup vegan butter (I used soy-free Earth Balance)
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 5 cups thinly sliced yellow onions
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- A few slices of french baguette bread
- Grated vegan cheese (to taste, I used Earth Island mozzarella shreds)*
- In a blender, purée the vegetable broth, miso & butter beans until smooth. Set aside.
- Turn on your pressure cooker and select “brown / sauté”. No need for the lid for now.
- Melt the vegan butter with the avocado oil.
- Sauté the onions with maple syrup for 15 min (or until the onions are golden brown), stirring frequently.
- Add vegetable stock, minced garlic, balsamic vinegar, coconut aminos, bay leaves, thyme & pepper and stir for 1-2 min.
- Close the lid & seal the pressure cooker. Select “soup” and set to 20 min on high pressure.
- Once the timer is done, release the pressure by allowing the steam to vent, then remove the lid.
- Preheat the oven to broil. Make sure to move the oven rack to the top position.
- Pour the soup into an ovenproof serving bowl, then dip a few slices of french baguette bread in it. Make sure to soak them before topping the grated vegan cheese on top.
- Broil for about 5-8 min or until the cheese is melted and browned in spots.
*Not every brand of vegan cheese will melt easily. You might have to try different brands to get the right consistency.