I’ve been trying to find inspiration for my vegan christmas dinner party to impress my non vegan friends, so I decided to get out of my comfort zone a bit and try to veganize a beef bourguignon crockpot dish. If you’ve been looking for seitan recipes, you’ll love my vegan beef mushroom bourguignon slow cooker version! A lot of people are not sure how to cook seitan, so I’m hoping this recipe will inspire you and make it to your top 5 fave Christmas dishes of all times.
My favourite part is that it was so quick and easy to make and doesn’t take too much room on my counter. Once your veggies are all chopped, all you have to do is put all ingredients in your Crock-Pot® 6 Qt. Cook & Carry Programmable Slow Cooker, put the lid on and voilà! Come back 6 hours later to enjoy your meal. Easy peasy. Just make sure the latches are not locked while cooking.
Seitan is a great source of protein, so this meal is particularly great for those of you who are physically active, tracking macros or even doing bodybuilding. Those of you with a gluten intolerance will have to be warned though, as seitan is made with wheat gluten. It also has a high fat content. You can always replace it with smoked tofu, but I haven’t tested it yet so I can’t promise it will be the same flavour-wise.
For the vegan beef
There are many brands of seitan sausages out there, but I went with Field Roast as they’re easy to find where I live. If you’ve never tested any of them, here are a few brands to choose from:
- Field Roast
- Upton’s Naturals
This vegan beef mushroom bourguignon recipe was sponsored by Crock-Pot, I hope you guys enjoy it. Don’t miss out on Walmart price rollback to $39.98 until December 24th! Regularly priced at $49.98, definitely a bargain not to miss. Here’s how to get it: http://bit.ly/2rsEPygPrint
Delicious high protein vegan recipe for the holidays to impress your non vegan friends! Made with seitan sausages, mushrooms and mashed potatoes. Perfect for your Christmas dinner.
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped (about 1 medium onion)
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 cups sliced white mushrooms
- 3/4 cup red wine
- 1 cup sliced carrots (about 2 medium carrots)
- 3 cups potatoes, sliced in half (about 30 small potatoes)
- 1.5 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp tamari or coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups (500 ml) water
- 2 tbsp potato starch mixed in 4 tbsp water
- 3 seitan sausages, sliced thin
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
For the vegan beef mushroom bourguignon
- In a small bowl, whisk the potato starch and water. Once dissolved, add the coconut sugar and tomato paste and whisk until incorporated.
- Put all ingredients in your Crock-Pot® slow cooker and mix well.
- Put the lid on, lock it and set to 6h.
For the mashed potatoes
- Boil the potatoes for 10 minutes
- Drain and mash with remaining ingredients until smooth
Happy holidays 🙂